Sunday, February 17, 2008

So what is a Christian?

I suppose in all the talk about "Christian Thinking", one has to answer the question, What is a Christian? This is an answer that is never complete, but let me begin here. To be a Christian is to be committed to Christ. It means that my motivations, ambitions, beliefs, values, and behavior must be influenced primarily by what I believe to be the claims of Christ.

So what are those claims? Christ came to "save his people from their sins". That seems to imply that I am sinful. A recognition of that fact has implications that I will explore later. Suffice it to say that hubris is excluded. Knowing that I am not only fallible, but fallen, makes it impossible for me to boast of any personal virtue. But since Christ has saved me, I can rejoice in that fact and in gratitude seek to live in a way that celebrates that reality. Yet, I cannot do it of myself. Christ said "without me you can do nothing". So I must rely on him for the resources to live the life worthy of his salvation.

Lord help me to let you do in me what is your greatest desire for me to do.

More later.

1 comment:

Darius said...

"To save His people from their sins." I find this to be interesting on a number of levels.

First, He did not come to save His people but to save His people from their sins.

Second, whoever these people are He considered them to be His people before He came.

Third, should we consider ourselves to be whatever we have. Am I virtuous because I have virtues? Am I insightful because I have insights?