Friday, September 11, 2009

Knowing the truth

The commentary to my Bible study for the day makes the case that truth is Absolute, not relative and cited John 14:6 in support. "I am the way the truth and the life", it says, quoting Jesus. I agree. As a theist I believe that God is an absolute entity, and as such what God knows is absolute truth. As a Christian I believe that Jesus is the human expression of God, and the only way to him. But what do I do with that? How can I know what God knows? How do I get around the cultural lens through which I see everything, even my understanding of the claims of Jesus, the Christ?

The argument for absolutes often accompanies some apologetic. It is often used as the basis for arguing that truth as I understand it must be the absolute variety. Thus it is only through Jesus, as I understand him, that salvation is possible. And it is only the truth as I believe it from scripture that can be the absolute truth. That makes me nervous. It places too much burden on my limited human perceptions. It lacks humility because it fails to acknowledge that my understanding may be limited by my human experience.

Yet, what is the point of truth being absolute if it has nothing to do with me? And why does Jesus give us a commission to teach others if we have nothing definitive to teach?

I suppose the answer lies in a balance between confident assurance in what we believe through our walk with Him, and a healthy respect for the journey that others are on. We should invite those not on any journey to savor ours. And to those on another journey, we can give testimony to the beauty of our journey, and invite them to test it as well. But do we have the right to insist that ours is the only legitimate journey? Can our belief be absolute? I think not.

5 comments:

Darius said...

If Jesus is the only way to know the Father what do we do with Rom. 1:20? Beliefs are not truth. Beliefs are hypotheses. Way-stations on the way to truth. If we allow our beliefs to become supreme could we not have postponed the journey?

David Henry said...

Ah but humility is not sexy!

Certitude is!

If I stand tall and strong and say that what I am saying is the word of God, I could get people to bow down before me, worship my every word and follow me over the cliffs of Dover. That is power and it is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

This is the reason why it could sometimes be difficult for us to humble enough to actually follow God.

If our understanding is limited then it means we could be wrong.

Ah but that is scary for someone whose interest (paycheck, respect, family, friends, and business) is vested a particular set of beliefs. And this is why sometimes God upsets the whole apple cart.

Sometime He takes away the things we hold dear so that we could see the thing that he wants us to see more clear.

Other times He just sings "One day at ah time sweet Jesus"

"It lacks humility because it fails to acknowledge that my understanding may be limited by my human experience."

Lyn said...

Mr. DAL, if you're asking what we must do with those who came before Jesus, then the answer is simple: the people of the OT from Abraham to Daniel had prophets, dreams, audible voices, and in the case of the children of Israel and several patriarchs the direct voice or manifestations of God to guide them. We have no pillars of cloud. In that way we are different, so what about Romans 1:20? As for pagans, we can only take Paul at his word, "they knew God perfectly well," suggesting they had similar opportunities.

We also must remember that Jesus was the fulfillment of a prophesy. The assertion that Jesus is the only way applies to those with the opportunity to know him. It applies to those bound under the New Covenant. Plus, one could argue that Jesus shows himself to others incognito, thru nature (like in Romans) etc.

As for your assertion that "beliefs are not truth," does that mean that one cannot believe IN truth? Because then the truth would be their belief and their belief would be truth, right? I'm not even sure what you mean here, but I will assert that "the journey" is what forms our beliefs. It is life experience that nurtures our outlook for better or for worse. Just because someone believes to know the truth (cuz that's what happens when you think you're right) doesn't mean they stop living and collecting views.

Darius said...

Lyn, I think you made my point. Jesus is not the only way to know the Father because the hidden things about the father are understand in the Father's works of nature. Of course, there is a sense in which the statement is correct because Jesus did not come as God; He came as a man. He was trying to tell us that what we have been looking for has been with us all this time. If you want to see the Father take a closer look at your brother. In fact, He plainly told the disciples this same thing.
I do believe in truth, I just don't believe anyone should have the temerity to claim that he has it. How do you define the invisible? How do you know you are holding the untouchable? I think you will find that when churches claim to know the truth they also stop collecting views. This is why churches today find themselves teaching that humans make better fathers than the Heavenly Father is. They will never admit to it but none of them would treat their children the way they claim the Heavenly Father will treat His. And all in the name of truth.

David Henry said...

"I do believe in truth, I just don't believe anyone should have the temerity to claim that he has it. How do you define the invisible? How do you know you are holding the untouchable?"

Well said, Dal
Well said!
.